Suit Up is a fundraising event hosted by our Auxiliary Board in an effort to raise funds for Veterans in need served by Volunteers of America of Illinois. Volunteers of America of Illinois is a nonprofit organization that serves more than 500 Veterans each year including both male and female Veterans; single Veterans and those with children; and those from WWII through the current conflicts.
Volunteers of America of Illinois' volunteer opportunities are ONLY for our programs.
Our namesake Volunteers of America, was derived from a voluntary call to action from people to give back in the late 1800's to their community. Throughout the years, as an affiliate, Volunteers of America of Illinois (VOA of IL), has evolved into an organization that addresses the needs of our community.
Presently VOA of IL, partners with the people we serve to create transformational and lasting change through foster care, veteran services, and affordable housing for seniors and adults with disabilities.
Our programs are very diverse from one community to the next – and so are our volunteer opportunities. Individual volunteers, as well as volunteer groups from businesses, faith-based communities, schools and other groups work throughout our programs. Some of our volunteers prefer short-term projects while others work weekly or monthly helping others.
Volunteers have given their time by:
- Serving a Thanksgiving meal to Veterans
- Wrapping gifts for children in our foster care program for the holidays
- Organizing donated goods and supplies
- Facilitating mock interviews for Veterans we serve who are preparing for employment
- Folding and distributing clothes to our female Veterans during Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Leading a game night for our Veterans at *Hope Manor I (*Hope Manor I is VOA of IL's housing development located in West Humboldt Park dedicated to providing a continuum of services to male Veterans)
Volunteer forms and information: