- If you or your company is interested in participating in Operation Backpack please contact Bridget Hickey
- Phone: 312-564-2434
- Fax: 312-564-2301
Operation Backpack is an annual drive that takes place from June 13th to the beginning of August. Throughout these months, school supplies and backpacks are collected by donors, companies, churches, and other partners of Volunteers of America of IL (VOA of IL) and assembled for students of area Chicago Public Schools neighboring our housing developments for Veterans and the children we serve in our programs. Operation Backpack is made possible because of the generous support of HSBC and generous individuals and company donors.
Operation Backpack 2015 Highlights:
- We distributed over 2,300 backpacks to children in Chicago Public Schools in low income neighborhoods along with children of the Veterans that we serve and children in our child welfare services. We served 1,000 more students this year than previous years.
- The America Accounting Association, a new sponsor, donated 500 backpacks.
- Colgate, a new sponsor, donated toothbrushes and toothpaste for every backpack that we distributed.
- Our online Roonga page allowed for individuals to donate over 600 supplies to fill the backpacks.
- Operation Backpack partnered with 27 companies that supplied backpacks and school supplies. 16 of the companies were new in 2015.
- 69 volunteers prepared backpacks for distribution during our Operation Backpack sort weeks. 24 individuals volunteered at the Back-to-School event that VOA of IL hosted, including 9 HSBC employees.
- Our Back-to-School event provided the students with a meal for the day.