providing school supplies to children in need
- If you or your company is interested in participating in Operation Backpack please contact Bridget Hickey
- Phone: 312-564-2434
- Fax: 312-564-2301
Operation Backpack is an annual drive that takes place from June to the beginning of August. Throughout these months, school supplies and backpacks are collected by donors, companies, churches, and other partners of Volunteers of America of IL (VOA of IL) and assembled for children in foster care and children of the Veterans served by VOA of IL. Operation Backpack is made possible because of the generous support of individuals and company donors.
Operation Backpack 2018 Highlights:
- We distributed over 2,000 backpacks to children in Chicago Public Schools in low income neighborhoods along with children of the Veterans that we serve and children in our child welfare services.
- HSBC, Golub Capital, CVS, Jones Day, Chase, and Baxter Healthcare each donated over 100 backpacks.
- Operation Backpack partnered with 36 companies that supplied backpacks and school supplies.
- VOA of IL partnered with Akiem Hicks from the Chicago Bears to provide children at Nicholson STEM with brand new backpacks for the school year.