providing school supplies to children in need
- If you or your company is interested in participating in Operation Backpack please contact Bridget Hickey
- Phone: 312-564-2434
- Fax: 312-564-2301
Operation Backpack is an annual drive that takes place from June to the beginning of August. Throughout these months, school supplies and backpacks are collected by donors, companies, churches, and other partners of Volunteers of America of IL (VOA of IL) and assembled for students of area Chicago Public Schools neighboring our housing developments for Veterans and the children we serve in our programs. Operation Backpack is made possible because of the generous support of individuals and company donors.
Operation Backpack 2017 Highlights:
- We distributed over 1,200 backpacks to children in Chicago Public Schools in low income neighborhoods along with children of the Veterans that we serve and children in our child welfare services.
- Charles Schwab, Parts Town, HSBC, James Hardie Building Products, Golub Capital, and Pactiv and Reynolds Consumer each donated over 100 backpacks.
- Operation Backpack partnered with 40 companies that supplied backpacks and school supplies.
- 47 volunteers prepared backpacks for distribution during our Operation Backpack sort weeks for a total of 141 hours.