providing school supplies to children in need
- If you or your company is interested in participating in Operation Backpack please contact Bridget Hickey
- Phone: 312-564-2434
- Fax: 312-564-2301
Operation Backpack is an annual drive that takes place from June to the beginning of August. Throughout these months, school supplies and backpacks are collected by donors, companies, churches, and other partners of Volunteers of America of IL (VOA of IL) and assembled for students of area Chicago Public Schools neighboring our housing developments for Veterans and the children we serve in our programs. Operation Backpack is made possible because of the generous support of HSBC and generous individuals and company donors.
Operation Backpack 2016 Highlights:
- We distributed over 2,200 backpacks to children in Chicago Public Schools in low income neighborhoods along with children of the Veterans that we serve and children in our child welfare services.
- NCM, a new sponsor, donated 300 backpacks.
- Mead Johnson Nutrition, Charles Schwab, and Power Construction, all donated 200 backpacks.
- Colgate donated a toothbrush and toothpaste for every backpack.
- Our online Roonga page raised over $2,000 worth of brand new school supplies for the students.
- Operation Backpack partnered with 34 companies that supplied backpacks and school supplies. 21 of the companies were new in 2016.
- 53 volunteers prepared backpacks for distribution during our Operation Backpack sort weeks for a total of 156 hours including 22 HSBC employees.
- Students at 25 low income Chicago Public Schools received backpacks.