Our namesake Volunteers of America, was derived from a voluntary call to action from people to give back in the late 1800's to their community. Throughout the years, as an affiliate, Volunteers of America of Illinois (VOA of IL), has evolved into an organization that addresses the needs of our community.
Our programs are very diverse from one community to the next – and so are our volunteer opportunities. Individual volunteers, as well as volunteer groups from businesses, faith-based communities, schools and other groups work throughout our programs. Some of our volunteers prefer short-term projects while others work weekly or monthly helping others. Take a look at some examples of volunteer opportunities.
Volunteers have given their time by:
- Serving a Thanksgiving meal to Veterans
- Wrapping gifts for children in our foster care program for the holidays
- Organizing donated goods and supplies
- Facilitating mock interviews for Veterans we serve who are preparing for employment
- Folding and distributing clothes to our female Veterans during Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- Leading a game night for our Veterans at *Hope Manor I (*Hope Manor I is VOA of IL's housing development located in West Humboldt Park dedicated to providing a continuum of services to male Veterans)
* Volunteers of America of Illinois' volunteer opportunities are ONLY for our programs.
Volunteer forms and information:
- Should you have any questions about volunteering, please contact Bridget Hickey, Senior Development Manager
- Phone: 312-564-2434
- Fax: 312-564-2301